Monday, January 12, 2009

Sooo... Wanna hear about my characters? No? Too bad.

Yay! I stopped procrastinating for a bit! Well, no, not really. I was hoping to actually WRITE my character backgrounds instead of writing one and a half, then having the rest of them suddenly pop out in my head, having an epiphany with them, basically, then deciding to share them with the world. At least wrote one. That in itself is a big achievement for me. But... don't get me started on plot ideas. You should know that if I seem weird or distracted it's because I'm thinking about this thing constantly.

Anyway, I have four. Tara, Amery Gibbons, Adalyn Brava and Nilay Kala. I'm going to add more, make no mistake, but these are the main ones so far, the narrators. Most of them sort of fit into the ideas I had for different points of view. Tara is the one in an asylum (though I think I'm not going to have her describe the asylum, her points of view will be flashbacks. Amery is the policeman, going through the motions of a broken system while anarchy rules around him. Adalyn is the outsider to the city, used to light and clear skies, yet craving something different to her previous home that she holds so much disdain for (she's a runaway). And then Nilay, who actually doesn't fit any of the ones that I wrote. He's Nilay, I guess.

I love going on those baby naming sites and finding really cool meaning names for characters. Tara I pulled out of thin air, actually, but it fits her, I think. Amery means justice, which is sooo him. Adalyn is actually, like, me (Note the surname, Bridget, that must have given you a hint). Adalyn means good humor, and I think I satisfy that in both senses of the word humor, plus Adalyn is coming from somewhere where good humor is expected, and going to a place where it's practically unheard of. Nilay means home, which means something that might betray a bit of plot, and Kala means artistic or creative, like skilled, and he's an artist, skilled because he can make a dark, gray city beautiful.


Yaya! I should go finish these things now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna this is going SO GREAT! I'm getting really excited!!

Cordelia. Your time has come.