Monday, June 29, 2009

When I think of my titles all I can hear is my own breathing.

I would like to talk to you all about a subject I'm sure we all know well, a subject that is slowly falling behind the times, a subject that you might be thoroughly sick of. I am talking, of course, about the Harry Potter books.

Yes, they're over and done with. Yes, I'm one of those crazy people who rereads them every summer. Yes.

And yet I can't help drawing attention to the supremely rehashed fact that Harry, his friends and his adventures have had a profound effect on our generation. My peers, who now consider themselves far too old for Harry Potter, were at the perfect age when the books began, so that the maturity of the books increased with ours. Had we been too young, we might have been slightly scared of the gradually darker themes, had we been too old, we would have thought ourselves above caring about such silly stories.

The small, dark haired boy is deeply engrained in our culture. Whatever the pessimists say, he will always be remembered. I, for one, intend to introduce it to any children I may have, recalling as I do the evenings sitting on my mother's bed as she read us the earlier volumes.

Now... Who wants to see the next movie and make snide comments about the woeful inaccuracies with me?